My Mom and I always attend the GASC in Arlington. It's a fun time to get away and spend some Mommy-Daughter time. We stay at a hotel and attend the 3 day convention, take classes, and stay up late completing scrapbook pages. It's SO much fun. Plus we go swimming!

Thursday we arrived promptly at 8:45am, picked up our tickets from will call and proceeded to tour the show. I told myself I was only looking for Disney stuff and a baby book for a co-worker. And proceeded to buy Halloween stuff at the very first booth. Did I really need that? It's just so easy to walk by and find the MOST unique things. Plus, I love all the things you can actually do with
Stamps by Judith. At first they look a little old-fashioned but I have seen some very neat things completed with these.

We toured the first 3 rows or so before we had to take a quick lunch break so we could make our 12:30pm class on time. We sat outside (where it was so windy I was afraid my while plate would blow away!). If you want a good seat at class you have to arrive at least 20 minutes early to get in line. See, class size can be anywhere from 30 to 100 people. And you need to be able to see the presenter so you can follow the details on your pages. There isn't enough time to finish in class so good seats are important for finishing later.
Our first class was '2008 Latest & Greatest with Basic Grey' (and who doesn't love BG paper!?) . Loved that class.

We did 4 12x12 layouts. Although there was a very strange woman next to Mom (she attracts thos kind of people lol.) We took some pictures so we could scrap ourselves scrapping.
After class, back out to the show to shop until our next class. I found some cute things I wanted to make for Christmas so I bought them out. That's why you have to go early - the best items won't be around by Saturday! Our next class was at 5:30pm - '6 Techniques with Chipboard'. We were so disappointed in this class. The instructor was terrible, the paper not very pretty, and the techniques were things most people do. We did learn to make a spray for pearl-ex (which is traditionally hard to get dry) but that was the only worthwhile thing. On to dinner, swimming and then scrapping until midnight when I finally figured out how early we had to get up! Our room was right next to the door and right across from the pool - it was great to be so close.
Friday started with 8am class. The line was already long by 7:30!

It was a large class in a ballroom. We made 3 2-page 12x12 layouts there. This was my favorite of the 3. It is actually much more complicated than this picture looks. I'll have to try and take a larger picture. After class it was back to shop more. By this time we had finished all rows in the show floor. It was much less crowded than Thursday. In past years Thursday was always the least crowded day, but both last year and this year - Friday has been the better day.
We enjoyed lots of great food as well. Red, Hot & Blue was yummy! We did have one really weird server at Papadeaux's. She kept wiping the table down. She delivered refills and would wipe all around our cups and plates to get the bread crumbs and things. Mom and I just looked at each other. She may have been OCD. We took some cake and pudding back to the hotel for snacks. I think dessert and scrapbooking may be two of the very best things in life. ;)
Here are some cute layouts we found (I didn't get as many pictures this year since most people got smart and put up no photos signs!
The sprinkles on this one were sparkly. Cute.
Lots of white gel pen and circles on layouts.

There is stitching on this layout that is difficult to see in the pictures.
Scalloped edges were big this year.
I stayed up late Friday to finish this board book for my friend who recently had her first grandchild. I thought it would be perfect for adding baby photos for the office. I purchased this very handy sanding tool at the convention which worked so quickly I loved it. If you've done chipboard at all you know that the best method is to glue the paper down and then sand off the edges. Well this
tool cut that sanding time down tremendously. I highly recommend it!
Here is the book I created...it is very difficult to see some of the detail in the photos (like the flocking or raised glossy accents. I liked it so much I almost wanted to keep it!







I also started a small book for our Disney trip. It is going to say Disney Magic. You can see the small Disney lettering on the table in the far left side of the picture. I think Mom was about to flip out from all the sanding noise. I found so many cute Disney items there. It is big business in scrapping. I picked up all kinds of cute embellishments and laser cuts. I even found a few page kits I will be making and perhaps passing off as partially my own to those who don't ask.
wink, wink. I still haven't finished this book but will post the finished product when I am done.
Mom and I use the desk in the hotel room for a scrap table usually. I had the desk on the center of this picture. And if you look closely on the right you can see Mom's uh, coffee table workspace. I didn't really think she is that short but I guess it fit ok! ;)
We always have to pull over the lamps and set up our work area. This was a great trip and I look forward to it every year! Thanks Mom for being such a great scrap partner and for the fun!
See you all next year!
4 comments:
Jen- That looks like so much fun. I am jealous! I used to go with my mom, but only for one day. Now she moved away, so I never go anymore. We have great moms, don't we? Hi mama Gibbons.
Farrah you should totally come out with us for a day next year! As a matter of fact, I think a booth of your own would be tres chic.
We have fantastic moms!! Tell your madre hello!
I love it! I wish I could go... maybe we can just get together sometime next week or somemthing! You guys look like you had a blast!
I'm sad to have missed it this year. I missed last year as well with James being 2 months old. Glad you had fun!
Post a Comment