Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?

This is a 5th grade math problem. This is not a trick question. It's a real math
problem, so don't say that a bus has no legs and don't include a bus
driver! Read the problem carefully. See how many times it takes you to get it solved.

There are 7 girls in a bus.

Each girl has 7 backpacks.

In each backpack, there are 7 big cats.

For every big cat there are 7 little cats.

Question: How many legs are there in the bus?

I'll post the answer in the comments, but don't cheat! Cheaters! I see you!

8 comments:

The Sabins said...

Ok, peeps here it goes:
1) 7 girls x 2 legs = 14 legs

2) 7 girls x 7 backpacks = 49 backpacks x 7 big cats = 343 big cats x 4 legs = 1372 legs

3) 343 big cats x 7 little cats = 2401 little cats x 4 legs = 9604 legs

14 + 1372 + 9604 = 10990 legs

It better be a big bus!

Unknown said...

I totally got it and started trying to figure it out in my head and quickly realized I was going to need a calculator.

Do you think they let 5th graders use a calculator or do they have to work it all out on paper?

Anonymous said...

OK,
I was going great until the part with EVERY big cat has 7 little cats...I only gave each big cat one...

I was short a few legs. Fun problem, but I like the trick questions more!

Hi Farrah!

Mom G

Janelle said...

DOH! I didn't count the girls legs. I only got 9604.
Very clever.

The Sabins said...

Hmm...I bet they make 5th graders write out the long division. Anyone have a 5th grader we could ask?? ;)

We Three Smiths + 1 said...

Totally got it right without cheating! Who is awesome??? JOSEPHINE!!! LOL!

Audrey said...

I got it right! What does that say about me? Am I smarter than a 5th grader or only as smart as one?

The Sabins said...

Ya'll are awesome! See...I knew I had smart friends! ;)