Monday, June 22, 2009

Practice and trying not to think about the fish...

If you've been trying to reach me and I'm not home I am likely out swimming, biking and running (or at least shuffling).


Me, happy and a little gross after a good bike

Shalon and I decided to train for the Metroplex Sprint triathlon in June. I've only ever done one tri so I'm really a rookie. And out of shape. So this was a good way to shed a few pounds and have a goal.

The hardest part? Just trying to arrange schedules between all of us was exhausting. If I didn't lay it out at the beginning of the week there was no way to make it all happen. Plus the amount of laundry I'm keeping up with just multiplies. I joined fit2train, a local triathlon team so I could get some additional advice from more experienced athletes. It was fantastic and we were lucky enough to have Coach Gayle work with us over twelve weeks. She is a great coach, 3 time Ironman finisher, and super all-around person with a big heart.

I've been out a lot either early a.m. or right after work doing our workouts. 6 days a week. We swam with Dallas Aquatic Masters, rode with the team, and had track workouts.
Two weeks before our event we had a practice triathlon at Lake Ray Hubbard. I am always nervous during an OWS (open-water swim). I always think it's freaky swimming where you can't see anything. And I mean anything. I couldn't even see the end of my arm extended. But you know there are ugly fish and things in there...*shiver*. I try really hard not to think about it.
We swam out to the first buoy, down a couple buoys and back in. Approx 800m took me 18 minutes. Of course the start totally freaked me out, my goggles fogged up and I really only swam well the last 600 or so. :) Quick transition and out for a 13 mile ride. Finished in 44min (17.3mph), fast transition -something like 40 seconds- and off for 2 mile run in 21min. Total time 1hour 23min. It was so much fun, it makes me remember why we do this. Here's a few shots of our practice tri:

Amanda and Kerry from the team ready to go...

Setting up transition...


Shal and I (on the left) after we finished...Seriously I call this my 'sausage suit'. This is the part I hate the worst...squeezing myself into the gear ya just gotta wear for this sport.

We practiced changing a tire. Here's my bike in progress...

I love taking pics of my bike. You grow to love your bike, but seriously who wants to see pictures of my awesome bike? lol.


Victoria and Kerry working on a tire...or maybe just standing around
after our 25 mile ride to Seagoville from White Rock. Love this route!


Coach Gayle and Deighton...finally figuring out her pump didn't work


Finished! Yay!

If I flat I won't be fast but at least I will be able to fix it and get on my way.

Our group had a very respectable showing at the Metroplex sprint and it was so much fun! So now that I have done two races I feel comfortable that I can call myself a triathlete. Race report to come next!

1 comment:

We Three Smiths + 1 said...

Way to go, Jenn & Shalon!!! That is Awesome!!!