Monday, November 9, 2009

I Looped the Lake Award

White Rock Lake (WRL) is a bit of a workout mecca here in DFW. There are cyclists, runners, dog-walkers, frisbee players, rowers, and all kinds of other activites that take place at this small lake. Well, except swimming. Swimming has not been allowed at White Rock Lake since 1952. If you're running in Dallas you will probably run at the lake at some point, perhaps in training or maybe in one of the popular running races held there.

Every athletic event has its own 'milestones'. And the first time you reach that milestone is exciting. The first time you scored 25 points in a basketball game, won a championship, scored a hole-in-one, biked 50 miles, completed your first race. To those who run in or near WRL, there is a milestone of the first time you loop the lake and make the 9.3mile run around the perimeter of the lake. Everything up until this point has been an out-and-back run.

This weekend my teammate Robert and I completed our first lake loop. My team, even those members I didn't know, were all very encouraging. They said good luck and we were off! I ran with my teammates Yuri and John, who kept me company with his zany stories and my mind off the nonsense that is running this far.

Mile 1-3: Feeling slow. I realize I am fatigued from the week and not feeling my best. Last week, during my 8 mile run I felt great and ready for the challenge. This week, not at all.

Mile 4-6: Feeling ok. Settle into a steady pace. I also resolve to the knowledge that the run today will hurt. I just did not wake up feeling my best and my schedule was off this week. I'll make it just fine, but I hope to be more rested and ready the next time I have a long run.

Mile 7-8: Starting to ache. Every time I stop for water, it hurts to start back up. Right knee becomes sore. Stopping very long is not an option. During mile 7 my running partner, John (who is training for the 2010 Ironman CDA) says 'I think you are sand-bagging. Let's run this next mile closer to 10min pace - I'll let you lead what feels comfortably faster.' So we run this mile in 9:40 before going back to 10:30's.

Mile 9 + .3: Mix of fatigue & excitement. Both knees are slightly sore. Breathing is a little more labored so I try to focus on breathing smooth and staying relaxed. Going up the last little hill, John reminds me how close we are to finishing! (My teammates are great at telling you how good you look and that you are doing great; no matter if you look like a rat that crawled out of the trash and are dragging one foot in some kind of weird limp with a face red like a tomato. Not that I know what that looks like...)

Finish: Elation! I say I have never been more excited to see that parking lot in my life! My total time is 1:39:05, a 10:39m/mi avg. including warm-up. When I first stop, everything hurts. After 15 minutes of walking and a good, long stretch I feel normal again. About 20 people congratulate us on completing our first loop!

Then Coach Gayle presented us with our 'medals'. :) They were bagels with 'I Looped the Lake' written in colorful marker on them and bows attached. It was so fun and thoughtful to have a little celebration of our first loop. It was the farthest that Robert or I have ever run. Evvveeerrrr.



I am very thankful to my friends who ran with me, teammates who encouraged me, and family who supports me. Thank you to all the supportive people in my life! I appreciate each and every one of you!