This cartoon is just about how it goes when I talk about triathlon stuff with Jeff...he is just not real into it. So I was a little surprised when he decided he was going to try one. We entered the Blackland Sprint in Plano - it's close to home, a pool swim (so jeff won't drown!) and on Labor Day. Jeff borrowed a bike from his friend -- a very nice sleek triathlon number that puts my bike to shame! Me = jealous.Once again, my fantastic family came through for us and helped with babysitting so Jeff and I could enter. Jeff first bragged how he was going to beat me...then it became tie me...and finally he decided he would be happy coming in within five minutes of me. ha! men.
Overall, this was a fun race. I was really sick going into this race with a bad sinus infection that was messing with me. There was also a kids race beforehand. It was adorable watching some of these little kids ride their bikes with training wheels! Most races start at 7am but this one started late, around 8:45am, due to the kids race. That meant it would be hotter than normal for the run. Arrived a little later than I wanted but set-up transition and then met up with all my teammates who were also racing. Jeff, myself, Robert, Ginger, Keegan, Nicole, RW, Yuri, and Kim all did the individual race while Amanda, Coach Gayle and Brian formed a relay as well as Amanda G, Gaylen and Deighton formed a relay. Amanda and Deighton were just as sick as I was!
Pool races are a 'time-trial' start. When you register, you enter the time you think your swim will be and you are seeded accordingly. Within 30 minutes of race start I was in the water. Had my fastest swim of the season so far! I was out of the pool and ran past my cheering section (thanks guys!) and got a little past them and totally face-planted on those darn slippery floors. So everyone got to say 'ohhhhh'. I felt like a real nerd, but just jumped up and said 'I'm ok!' lol and kept going. My group didn't see that awesome fall but I banged the knee and got a little bloody before I ever even started! Super awesome. Ok, maybe not. I passed Jeff who was waiting in line and yelled 'Did you see me fall?!'. Jeff had a fantastic time on his first swim - luckily he is tall and can do a 'dive and glide' technique pretty far down the pool!
The bike course was very uneventful. Two loops on a rolling course with two main hills. Just kept it nice and steady. Jeff said the bike seat was killing him - which I understand - those seats are tiny if you are not used to them!
Last it was on to the run - and it was already something like 90 degrees since it was a late start race. And there was no shade on this run. My stomach had enough by now and I struggled not to toss my cookies. I ended up walking a lot here. I was so sick I had to blow my nose the entire time!! (Um, Jen that is really gross. Don't tell us that!) Ok, sorry. It was really nice to see my Dad and sister Liz out on the course, it kept me going when I was really hot and tired. Jeff also had a hard time on the run portion but he stuck it out like a champ.
Afterwards I cheered the rest of my team in and we waited for the awards. I won my first '1st' place award for my division. First thing the kids always ask me was 'Did you win?' so of course I said yes.
Pool races are a 'time-trial' start. When you register, you enter the time you think your swim will be and you are seeded accordingly. Within 30 minutes of race start I was in the water. Had my fastest swim of the season so far! I was out of the pool and ran past my cheering section (thanks guys!) and got a little past them and totally face-planted on those darn slippery floors. So everyone got to say 'ohhhhh'. I felt like a real nerd, but just jumped up and said 'I'm ok!' lol and kept going. My group didn't see that awesome fall but I banged the knee and got a little bloody before I ever even started! Super awesome. Ok, maybe not. I passed Jeff who was waiting in line and yelled 'Did you see me fall?!'. Jeff had a fantastic time on his first swim - luckily he is tall and can do a 'dive and glide' technique pretty far down the pool!
The bike course was very uneventful. Two loops on a rolling course with two main hills. Just kept it nice and steady. Jeff said the bike seat was killing him - which I understand - those seats are tiny if you are not used to them!
Last it was on to the run - and it was already something like 90 degrees since it was a late start race. And there was no shade on this run. My stomach had enough by now and I struggled not to toss my cookies. I ended up walking a lot here. I was so sick I had to blow my nose the entire time!! (Um, Jen that is really gross. Don't tell us that!) Ok, sorry. It was really nice to see my Dad and sister Liz out on the course, it kept me going when I was really hot and tired. Jeff also had a hard time on the run portion but he stuck it out like a champ.
Afterwards I cheered the rest of my team in and we waited for the awards. I won my first '1st' place award for my division. First thing the kids always ask me was 'Did you win?' so of course I said yes.
When I first saw Jeff after he finished he said "That was not fun at all, I don't know why anyone does that." Then he went and told everyone and their dog about his first race so I think he at least felt some type of accomplishment. Poor guy he had to sleep the remainder of the day! His parents also made the trek to see us race. Once he forgets the pain he might try another one, but I doubt he thinks it will be as easy as he thought before. Hope you all had as much fun on Labor Day as we did!





No comments:
Post a Comment