
It's not really that kind of post. I never like to talk politics. Which is kind of odd considering my major was political science and economics. I spent many nights working as Treasurer of my college party (which shall remain nameless). I've spent time organizing party rallies, hitting the phone banks for candidates (local and national), working fundraisers and press conferences. We had fun having mock UN conferences for courses, writing papers on proposed foreign policy and listening to professors who have actually worked the Mideast desk at the CIA. And still I shun political conversations with ANYONE because it seems that although we can disagree about other hot topics, it's very difficult for people to listen to anyone who might disagree with their choice for President.
So here's what my post is really about. I would suggest it's not your most important election. These people who are so passionate about a candidate couldn't tell you who should be voted Mayor or to the City Council or to a Judge in their county, city, or even who their State Representatives are. Many of the decisions that affect your everyday life come from local and state government - and the majority of people who think they 'know' the issues don't even vote in these elections. Can you really expect me to believe someone understands the intricacies of foregin policies if they can't take the time to understand and get involved in their own local ones?
Vote local, vote often, get involved. The end.
So here's what my post is really about. I would suggest it's not your most important election. These people who are so passionate about a candidate couldn't tell you who should be voted Mayor or to the City Council or to a Judge in their county, city, or even who their State Representatives are. Many of the decisions that affect your everyday life come from local and state government - and the majority of people who think they 'know' the issues don't even vote in these elections. Can you really expect me to believe someone understands the intricacies of foregin policies if they can't take the time to understand and get involved in their own local ones?
Vote local, vote often, get involved. The end.


2 comments:
McCain/Palin all the way!!!
I totally agree! Our local leaders are so important and like you said, most people know nothing about them. Heck, most people don't even know their names.
Post a Comment