Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Knees and Me

I've had a couple questions about my knee, so here's the low-down. On July 12th during a 6 mile run I had a recurrent meniscus tear (cartilege) in my right knee. This all stems from an original tear in 1996 that happened playing soccer. I had surgery in 96 and again in 2000 for recurring issues. As a result I am missing about 80% of the cartilege that is supposed to cushion your joint. I get aches from exercise but generally no pain, except during recurrent tears. I've been really happy that I've had 8 years of use and various activities (including my triathlon last year) without any significant issues. I get a little soreness and swelling after running (due to the impact and lack of cushioning) but that's usually it. And then I was injured doing nothing more than exercising. I've been unable to do any impact activities since. I had an MRI after the pain wouldn't go away and the results (and subsequent symptoms) point to a recurrent tear.

So instead of another surgery which may or may not help, I've been in physical therapy for about a month and I do more biking or swimming. I go back to my ortho in early September to reassess. It's been very frustrating. I can't believe I have so many issues - I don't feel that old!

6 comments:

Audrey said...

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about that... kinda stinks (a major understatement, I'm sure!) I hope that therapy helps you to achieve some sort of comfort and endurance. We'll be praying for you! :)

Liz said...

word verification? tell me where to find it and I will rid it from the Liz blogosphere!

Kristi Clinger said...

I'm sorry to hear about your knee and your grandfather. I can understand the frustration of not being able to do what you want. I'm currently having lower back problems and doing exercises for that as well. I hope it goes away soon.

The Mighty Minyard's said...

My favorite olympic moment was Pres. Bush back smacking the golden volley ball girl's tatt.

The Mighty Minyard's said...

Jen.. if you want, i'll take turns pushing you in a wheelchair to the finish line.

The Sabins said...

Audrey - thanks! I can use all the prayers I can get.

Liz - go to 'Settings' for your blog...I'll come to your page and post it in your comments! ;)

Hey Kristi! Thanks for stopping by...oh I have the best post for you - I'll have to find the link.

MM- deal! Though your time might suffer if you have to push me...;)